Monday, November 28, 2022

Prize, or Pig in a Poke 2.0

I noticed the tool post when I first saw the lathe and suspected immediately based on the appearance of the tool post and tool holders that it is original to the lathe and is a Dickson. The finish of the tool holders is a curious blend of rough milled and finely ground surfaces that I found surprising.

Based on comparisons to the machined surfaces on other known Dickson tool holders and on the Colchester Chipmaster price list my suspicion was confirmed. My lathe was purchased with the optional "Colchester Type No. 259" quick change tool post. So that is a bit of good news. 

The 
type No. 259, is actually the Dickson Tool Post in size S1 size. It came with four Standard Tool Holders No. 83116, one Morse Taper Tool Holder No. 83118, and supposedly one Vee Tool Holder No. 83117. I don't recall seeing the vee tool holder among all the others. I'll have to check on that later.


I may make minor changes to improve functionality and durability of the tool post and holders. For instance I'll be treating the tool post and holders with black oxide finish. I'll be replacing the square head clamping screws in the tool holders with cap head screws to be able to use T-handle Allen Wrenches. 

I'm missing the following original parts rom the tool post itself:

Locating Pin 24821-0,

Collar 24819-0, and

Nut 24842-0, but have non-original nut.

I cleaned these parts in multiple batches, and did not keep track of precise numbers of holders and small parts for the tool holders, but I am definitely missing a couple of clamping screws. I checked the box of odds and sods but I didn't see anything there that obviously belonged to the tool post in there.

I ran into issues and discovered that my evaporust gel had the gel part solidify into a solid mass and render the gallon useless... that pisses me off and slows things down especially since it took my a day of searching to find the pail in storage.

Apparently I forgot to take pictures of the tool post itself...



























No comments:

Post a Comment

Prize, or Pig in a Poke 2.0

I noticed the tool post when I first saw the lathe and suspected immediately based on the appearance of the tool post and tool holders that ...