Saturday, November 26, 2022

Learn to Juggle

One thing you learn if you watch the used metal working machine market, machines come up for sale very often that need to be moved ASAP. These scenarios represent the best opportunity to save a lot of money on a purchase.

I saved a lot of money on this lathe because the owners suddenly wanted to expedite the closure of their shop and because I was able to be nimble in planning and moving this lathe out of their shop on just a couple of day's notice. 

For anyone wanting to obtain deals on machinery my best advice is as follows:


build relationships with fellow hobbyists

learn to move equipment, 

practice moving equipment often (help others),

ask others for help,

always ask if the seller can help load the machines

and be decisive.

I applied all of these tips in my Chipmaster deal. 

I was able to be decisive and make an offer on the lathe without pausing to consider potential issues because I had long ago established the skills and relationships I needed to assure that I could remove this lathe from the premises of the owners without incident and within the timeline the owners required.

I was confident in my ability to move this lathe with ease, even alone if necessary. I was confident in being able to rely on several people for short term storage of the lathe in their own shops, and I was confident in being able to obtain assistance with moving the lathe on short notice.

Ultimately I relied on a new acquaintance to help move and store this lathe until space was available in my own shop. I met my friend at his place, where he had his trailer and pick-up truck ready to go. Upon arrival at the CNC shop we found the lathe loaded on a forklift and ready to go.


 

All we had to do was load it onto the trailer using the fork lift. Seemed easy enough. Except the lathe was one inch wider than the trailer. This brings us to a very important issue... know your weights and dimensions and ensure that your trailer and vehicle are able to handle the load.

In our case we could simply remove the side access cover and gain the necessary clearance. Which brings up point number two. Bring tools.




Ensure that your load cannot shift sideways or front to back. Be especially mindful of top heavy loads like Bridgeport Mills. The Chipmaster is great, it has a tripod shaped base with a wide footprint for extra stability. No pallet was necessary, just two landscaping ties placed under the stand to allow access for tow motor forks..



Make sure the tie down points are attached to something solid, not just screwed into wood slats in the trailer bottom. Check your load after you've driven a short ways away to see if anything worked loose. My friend Brian took the back roads home, but this load was so secure we could have sped along the highway just fine.

I missed getting pics of the off loading, but it was the loading in reverse. Picked off trailer with forks on a tractor. Lowered onto a pallet inside the shop doors.



Then we wheeled the pallet to the rear of the shop and dropped it in and out of the way corner. We took the splash pan off to get the lathe closer to the wall. There it will sit for a couple of weeks until I can return with a trailer and a tool and cutter grinder to give to my friend Brian.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Prize, or Pig in a Poke 2.0

I noticed the tool post when I first saw the lathe and suspected immediately based on the appearance of the tool post and tool holders that ...